Thursday, February 28, 2013

Our very "special" friends

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Pushing and shoving, rolling around on the floor like caged baboons, shrieking like banshees, making oddball noises, competing for who made the coolest and loudest sound...ah, the thrills of childhood. Except, what if those behaviors were uncontrollable?  What if that wasn't the joyful noise of childhood, but the plaintive cry of the differently abled? Funny, right? Fuck no, it isn't. Could you imagine for one moment being completely unable to stop sound from erupting from your lips? What about having hands that won't move the way you want them to in order to pick up a crayon? How about if you wanted to make a new friend but you couldn't because you are too hard to understand? Sucks moldy balls...yet there are children and adults who live this reality everyday. Still feel like snickering?

Those you with your own children will understand how it feels when someone makes a snide comment about them or makes fun of them. You know the stinging pain of watching them on the playground, head down, having no one to with whom to play. Having held your child as they cry because they were teased at school for having the wrong jeans or notebook, you understand what I am taking about. Imagine feeling that way everyday. Parents of children with special needs know this agony and have to live with it while wearing a huge smile. Why? Because their children need it. All kids look to their parents for cues about how to behave, how to react. If that child saw their mom crying, they'd not be able to stop and hold their head up high ever again. They'd believe that there was a genuine reason to cry, a reason to be ashamed of who they are.

These parents wear themselves out going the extra mile to build self-confidence in their children. Self-confidence that can be stripped away by just a few cruel children...or worse, their parents. That's right, I said their parents. Guilty as fucking sin, I've heard parents laughing, seen them pointing at children who were different or not perfect in their eyes. Those parents couldn't handle a child like that, they aren't strong enough and certainly not worthy of that child. As though their little, spoiled, disrespectful, entitled-feeling brat is somehow better than that poor child they mock. How so? I challenge you to give me valid proof. What makes someone who will eventually become a rotten, mean-spirited, selfish adult better than someone who may remain a child mentally, but be a beautiful human being with nothing but love and respect for everyone they meet? Exactly nothing, douche bag.

Working with children, every once in a while I am fortunate enough to come across one of these children of whom I speak. I say fortunate and I truly mean it. They are unlike all the others in the classroom, like none of my "favorites" yet I feel drawn to them, and they to me. My co-workers tease me, calling me a magnet for these kids. Maybe I am. Maybe I feel safe. I'll never really know the reason. I do know that I have a special place in my heart for these little guys, in all their out of control, hard to understand, yet wonderful and energetic glory. Many of you may not understand the appeal, the draw. That's ok, but don't you dare, for one moment, stand there and ridicule these sweet little souls. They may be draining as fuck, but I'll still muster up enough oomph to kick your dumb ass. You don't deserve the unconditional love and acceptance they have to offer. Your loss is my gain, prickless piece of dog shit.

Those of you with children who are mainstream, who are totally "normal" by educational standards, who need nothing but time and love from you, thank your lucky stars every single day. Most of you wouldn't know what to do with anything else. Some of you may have given him or her up for adoption, unable to face your supposed "failure" as a parent. A few, those who are soulless and heartless, would have chosen to end that child's life early, in utero, claiming that you are saving them from a life of heartache, and then try again for a NORMAL baby. There's nothing normal about exterminating someone because they aren't who you wanted them to be, not what you expected. It's sickening. You sicken me. Imagine if your mother could have had amniocentesis before you were born and was able to determine that you would grow up to be a total fucking bitch while you were still a fetus? She could have had your ass sucked out of her and tried for a nicer daughter. Oh, did that sound cruel and inappropriate? Too goddamn bad...you don't edit yourself or your opinions either, or I wouldn't know about them. Are you friggin kidding me right now???






No comments:

Post a Comment