Monday, August 13, 2012

Take your meds, I didn't sign on for this shit

Yeah, I said it.  I am so going there. Some people require a little extra something to help them become fit for public assimilation. We are all so consumed with our physical health, we've forgotten about mental health. I'd like to think the stigma is gone now and that we can just treat those issues the same way we'd medicate hemorrhoids. Call the doctor, have a visit, take the prescription to your local pharmacy and get rolling on the road to stability.  Here's your problem, and since you do have one, I feel free to address it.You don't think there's anything wrong.  Most days you are asking yourself why the fuck is everyone so critical?  How come these people keep pushing my goddamn buttons? When you start to believe that the whole world is wrong and you are the only one who is right, make the phone call.  Chances are, you are treating the people in your life like animals at least half the time.  Even animals deserve better. Having to wonder which one of you will show up is stressful and sucks balls.
Maybe you are feeling down and think nobody cares.  Guess what, we stop caring when you do. Being forced to deal with moods even you can't handle isn't fair to anyone. Some days you may feel anxious, more so than a normal person does...don't take it out on me. Snapping at everything I say isn't going to help me feel anything but pissed off.  My compassion goes out the window when I feel even slightly attacked. Perhaps you feel fun-loving and gregarious one day and pissed off and ferocious the next.  Which part of that do you think works for me?  Wondering whether Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde is coming home is nobody's idea of fun.  Walking around on eggshells, stressing out about what may or may not come out of your mouth today is totally fucking unfair to the people with whom you deal on a daily basis.
At this point, I'm fairly positive at least half of you think I am a total bitch who doesn't know what she is talking about.  The other half are likely to be holding their collective breath, waiting to see what the hell comes next.  To the first half, I am not a total bitch.  I may be 43.5% bitch on any given day. Secondly, I grew up with a bipolar parent, so I think I speak from experience which you do not have, so shut the fuck up, douchecanoe. So, to get back to the point, I am merely trying to help.  Being informed about what you are witnessing, dealing with, suffering at the hands of, is pretty goddamn important and I am the one willing to inform you.  Take it or leave it, I don't give a shit.
Honestly, it doesn't have to be as serious as all that.  Some of you may just need perspective. But a little bit of Xanax couldn't hurt.  Something to take the edge off.  You have no idea what it's like to be in your presence.  The way my neck tightens up, or my breath quickens, or the fact that my head begins to throb just at the thought of having to deal with you. The dread in the pit of my stomach. Of course you don't know.  There's nothing wrong with you, is there?  Problem number one, staring you in the face.  Even if you don't notice your fucked up behavior, and you may not, do you notice the reaction of others to your arrival on the scene?  Pay attention the next time you walk in a room. Does it fall silent?  Do people seem to stop breathing? Anyone look even slightly anxious? Ding, ding, ding, those are the fucking alarm bells and you need to put on your listening ears and hear them!
Now I can stretch the definition of meds and bring up those of you who refuse to take something when you are clearly in pain. Nobody is going to judge you for taking Tylenol for a headache or Motrin when you have back pain.  Some people think they are superheroes and want to just DEAL with it.  Holy fucking hell!  Do me and everyone around you a favor, pop the pills.  You are in the foulest mood when you are in pain.  We all are.  I don't care how high you believe your pain threshold to be, your mood is telling a different story. If you have a splinter, remove it.  If you have a cut, bandage it.  And for fuck's sake, if you feel pain, address it with medication.  An aspirin, Aleve, or Vicodin, I don't care which, but swallow something! It's not a sign of weakness, it's consideration for the people around you. The complaining I can almost tolerate, it's the bitchy mood and daggers you are hurling at me that make me want to drive a shiv into your throat. But I won't, I'm cool like that.
All I am saying here is this, we all have issues, pains, aches, moods, and need help. Whether it's a Tylenol or Ativan, it's necessary to your survival here on planet Earth. Yours and mine.  And mine is the one I am concerned with, so take heed.  People who take their shit, whatever that shit may be, out on others are the rock in my shoe, the thorn in my side, and the fly in my fucking glass of wine. If you want to be alone, continue on the path paved with shit you've chosen.  If you want to grow old surrounded by people who love and care about you, start giving a shit about yourself. If you think I'll stick around to watch you self-destruct and let you take me down with you, you need more help than you know. Are you friggin kidding me right now???

No comments:

Post a Comment