Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I love New York, why don't you?

Yes, I am from New York.  Yes, that is the trace remnant of an accent you hear.  No, I won't say coffee for you.  I've seen the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and the Twin Towers.  I've been to Soho, Greenwich Village, Times Square, and Little Italy.  All those things that you non-natives believe make up New York. While you have no clue that there are differences between the boroughs and the people that live in them, and aren't aware that there is a whole state outside of the boroughs, I don't criticize you or your ignorance.  On the other hand, those of you raised in all the other 49 states seem to think you are entitled to an opinion about my home state and everyone who lives there (or has lived there).
My favorite part of your uninformed opinion, is your unabashed desire to share it with me. Some that I enjoy most are, "all NY'ers are rude" and "NY is a dangerous, scary place"...this is based on what?!  Have you even been there? Most of you with the need to share these thoughts with me have never even been beyond the Left Coast.  Yes, I am talking to you, Bay Area residents.  This area is lovely, I don't deny it.  But, let's be honest with each other.  I feel like I can be honest since you've felt free to be brutally honest about NY with me. People around here are phony as SHIT.  Syrupy sweet voices, talking to everyone you come in contact with, and ending your damned sentences inflected upwards like you are constantly asking questions.  Maybe that is why we sound harsh to you.  We make statements, we talk to people we know, and our voices are all natural.  We are honest, no sugar-coating allowed.  It is what it is and if you didn't want my opinion, you probably shouldn't have asked for it.
When you do visit NY and you are scared...it's not because we are a particularly frightening bunch of humans, it's because you were raised like veal and have never seen a real city.  Cities are crowded and busy; they have loads of cars and traffic, and you had better know how to cross a street; they have garbage and homeless people, and neither will bite you; people don't make eye contact and won't ask you how your day is going because they don't want to know; they contain other races besides white; they are loud and beautiful, having flavor and culture you won't find anywhere else.  Yet, many of you are scared and tell me so.  Suburbs are not a reflection of reality, so if you've been raised in one, you have no frigging idea.  I get that...what I don't get is your need to be so negative and verbose in your stupid opinion of my birthplace.
If you know me, you'll realize that while I am honest and direct, I'd never intentionally hurt someone just for giggles.  You also know that I value friendships and people in general and am quite a caring individual.  So, when you say to me, "All NY'ers are mean" without ever having stepped foot on NY pavement, and your only connection to Queens is ME...all I can think is....are you friggin kidding me right now????

3 comments:

  1. All I can think about is yesterday in Times Square - thousands gathered for a huge all-day yoga fest, including pregnant women in bathing suits, topless men, and yes, topless women. MY NY opinion is that Californians would have fit right in. While native NYers are used to seeing strange sites in the city, those of us who experienced Times Square 25 years ago could never have predicted the likes of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Times square 25 years ago was interesting. Used to go through the Port Authority Bus Terminal most days from 1990 on. The good old Red & Tan to Pearl River or the bus to Hoboken (those days that I didn't take the PATH). Not counting all the cool walks around the city many years prior. NY is great. It is way cleaner now, and united since 9/11. One thing it will never be is phony.

    Phony people suck. Hey, maybe I should blog? Then again, people in general suck so why bother :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That, my friend, is greatness!!

    ReplyDelete