Thursday, June 21, 2012

Your "expert" opinion or been there, done that BEFORE you

Sometimes I share just for the sake of sharing, not because I want your opinion. Certainly not because I was looking for a story-topper.  Yet, some of you, and you know who you are, insist on regaling me with your infinite wisdom and whopper tales.  What I find most entertaining, is not the fact that you want to share, but the fact that even though you are usually far younger than I, your expertise always far surpasses mine.  Your life experiences are vastly superior, and the roads you've taken bumpier.  This is not to say that nobody else has troubles or nobody else may have a valid opinion on a variety of topics.  My point is, and I do have one, that usually a person tells a story, shares a life detail to do just that.  If an opinion or further commentary is required, it's normally requested in the form of, "What do you think?" or "Has this ever happened to you?"
Please don't think that your 16-month-long marriage qualifies you as a relationship expert. When you are speaking to someone who has been married for 20 years, and you attempt to tell them how to "manage" a husband and keep him in line, do you have any idea exactly how stupid you sound?  If I mention my uncle's multiple angioplasties and bypass surgeries, not only do I not want to hear about how your aunt had seven more, but I want you to know that I don't believe that your grandfather invented bypass surgery.
Yes, it is hard to believe that everything I say, you've done, felt, or experienced.  The fact is, you've not lived my life, you have absolutely no clue.  My points of reference are so much different than yours.  Which brings me to another pet peeve.  Never ever say to someone, "I know exactly how you feel."  SERIOUSLY?!  Are you me?  It's especially ridiculous-sounding when you say it to someone who has just suffered a death in the family.  Unless your circumstances are identical and the manner of death is identical, you probably have no friggin idea how I feel.  Which is why the first time someone said that to me after I lost my mom, I actually said, "Are you friggin kidding me right now?"

6 comments:

  1. I truly can't stand when people say "I know exactly how you feel"...you have no flippin clue how I feel and I really hate when people compare...at my father's funeral as the people walk to pay their respects, my aunts friend goes up to her and said it's much worse losing a sibling ...she knows because she lost her sister...WTF...really??? did you just say that in front of me. I know my aunt lost her brother but I was standing right there...people just really have no clue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, people today are never taught the one basic thing that all people should know...
    When to shut the fuck up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need a hot, steaming cup of STFU! Perhaps poured directly on the crotch!

      Delete
  3. As a nurse, I never say to my patients:

    "I know exactly how you feel."

    Why?

    Cuz I don't.

    ReplyDelete