Sunday, November 16, 2014

Facebook Balls

You know exactly what I'm talking about. Hell, I'm sure you have them. Technology has created a bunch of very brave cowards as of late and frankly, I'm disgusted by all of you. Not just on Facebook, but all over social media and anywhere you can put someone on blast for a supposed infraction of what you feel to be a major societal code. Seriously, folks, this has got to stop. Let's begin by remembering that most of you who suddenly have this overwhelming desire to call everyone out, were born way back before the age of the smartphone, laptop, or personal computer. I know I was and I fucking miss those days. The days when if someone pissed you off, you either had to suck it up and deal with it internally, call someone on the phone to complain and commiserate about the offending party, or actually confront the motherfucker and set the record straight. Do any of you have at least vague memories of this? Or is your brain too alcohol-soaked to recall any significant details of your childhood?

Since when is it ok to publicly rip someone a new asshole for something they may or may not have done? Since when is it acceptable to post photos of someone you don't like in order to make other people make fun of them along with you? Since when is it morally correct to accuse someone in front of God and everyone of crimes real and imagined...especially if you aren't a cop, attorney, or judge? When did we become Jesus Christ come down off the cross, ready to smote all those who offend us? It's bad enough you feel the need to share all the details of your ridiculous life with the entire planet, as they happen, on the daily. That is leaving you open to the scrutinizing eye of everyone with internet access...which is bad enough. And yes, we do scrutinize and judge the fuck out of you. But, and here's where it goes horribly wrong...when the scrutiny doesn't remain in your head and comes flying out of your fingertips and onto the screen of whatever technology you happen to be in possession of at the moment. If you want to rag on someone to your friends, have at it, we all do it. At least I admit it.

The thing that gets me, that should get you, is when you get all Judgmental Jesus and take the mocking process public. Or the calling out. Or whatever you, in all your glorious perfection, deem to be a gross transgression of what is right in your world. Let me tell you something...come closer so you can really hear me...YOU ARE NOT MY MOTHER! That should set the record straight. If you aren't my mother, you have no right to judge me, correct me, fix me, or call me out. She is and was the only person on this planet with the right to do so and the only one I would have ever listened to regarding my flaws and imperfections. The rest of you can go straight to hell, where assholes who try to publicly humiliate others belong. Are you perfection personified? If you are then please, teach us your ways so that we can be just like you. Since we all know that perfection does not exist, sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up, and put the smartphone away. We don't need your help.

Let's think about the things that people feel the need to put on blast, shall we? It's usually ridiculous, but sometimes it cuts deeply to the core of who someone is and you don't know anyone you criticize publicly that well. When you decide you are going to write a paragraph long Facebook rant about the mother you saw in the supermarket yelling at her child, describing in detail how evil she looked, what a terrible parent she is, and how you would have handled it oh-so-much better...what do you really know about the situation you just saw? Tell me, what do you know about that woman other than the fact that you saw her snap? Do you know why? Did you follow her from the moment she woke up? Did you also see her child kick the dog, set fire to the kitchen, try to smother the baby in her crib, and use foul language that would make your hair curl directed at the mother? All this while mom, poor mom, was trying to get ready for another job interview, figure out who was going to watch the children during that time because the babysitter called in sick, and she really needs a job because her drunken husband can't keep a job for more than ten minutes and she'd rather be out of the house anyway since his abuse has been escalating? Did you know that??? No, you didn't. You saw a brief moment in time and labelled the poor woman, ripping her apart, probably making her out to be ugly, inside and out...because you didn't really know.



This is the kind of shit that drives me crazy. Those brief moments in time. Little snippets that the outside world accidentally sees and makes snap judgments about. If you don't know the person, really know them, know their history, the day they've had, or the actual situation and the relationship she has with the person to whom she is speaking...walk away. Walk away and move on with your day. You may hear me talking to my daughter one day and call her an asshole...do you know why I've picked that exact word? Nope, you'd just call me an abusive mother. The little funny you aren't aware of is that we call one of our cats an asshole and sometimes we say that one of us is acting like her. It isn't mean, we love our cats like family. But all you'd hear is a mother calling her child a bad name. And you'd judge me harshly, write about it on Facebook or Twitter, maybe even with an accompanying sneaked photo of us...right before we burst out laughing. Very nice of you. I hope you got my good side, accenting my nose ring and my daughter's. We like to match whenever possible...but you didn't know that. You thought I beat her when no one was looking. See the discrepancy?

How about when you've decided you are mad at someone you do know and you choose to put them on blast? Are you such a pussy that you can't talk to them directly? Do you need a bunch of people you don't even know to stand in judgment with you on the internet to feel better? Does it make your stance more right? Perfect strangers jumping to your defense regarding something they haven't a clue about, taking your side about a topic of which they've only seen one side and not even completely...makes you feel big and strong, doesn't it? You experience virtual vindication! Hooray for you, shit stain. Doesn't make you right. Makes you a jackass. A jackass who can't handle their own private affairs...PRIVATELY. You know, privately, like grown ass people mature enough to deal with life do? People who can actually talk to another person directly when something is bugging them instead of becoming the town crier. You aren't one of them. You, my friend, are an ass clown.

Here are the facts as I see them, you don't know people the way you think you do, pure and simple. Your view is limited and skewed based on your own personal experiences. I completely understand that. When I see a man yelling at a woman, I cringe and then want to run over there and rescue the woman. I don't because I really don't know the situation. For all I know, it's a simple argument gone public. Nothing dangerous or ominous. Maybe she said something horrible to him that I hadn't heard. Not all fights are indicative of domestic violence. It doesn't mean that my first reaction isn't chilling. But I am mature enough and intelligent enough to know that not every situation is at it seems at first glance. If I am mad at you, rest assured you won't see evidence of it on any social media site, whatsoever. You won't see terrible photos of yourself with mean-spirited captions. Nor will you read a status and immediately know it is about you. I'm not that scared little shit. If you piss me off, you'll know it. The rest of the world won't. I'm very good at being phony when necessary. The rest of you, the cowards who hide behind their technology screens, it's time to grow the fuck up, butt the fuck out, and act like adults, not giant babies, scared of your own shadow. I have absolutely no time for your shit. One day, no one else will, either. And we all know you can't handle being alone. Are you friggin kidding me right now???

No comments:

Post a Comment