Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Stupid is as stupid does

If you've watched Forrest Gump, you've heard that phrase. But I present to you an alternative to those words.  Stupid comes from stupid parents. This attribute is passed down and bred into children from generation to generation. I believe that stupid doesn't just happen. Some feel that we are born a blank slate, while others feel we have innate qualities. What I see is a combination of both, with an emphasis on the blank slate. Parents have more influence on the type of person their child becomes than they realize. When you behave like a buffoon, you're not only teaching your child how to behave like an ass, you are giving them permission to do so. It's called modeling and we do it all day long as parents. Maybe no one told you when you had children, and maybe it's too late.  I can't say for sure.  But what I can say, is that if you don't become aware of your impact, our future will rapidly become more grim than the predicted apocalypse on December 21st.

Everywhere I go, I see parents teaching their spawn all the wrong ways to behave. They push ahead of people on line at the supermarket, they are rude to the waitstaff at restaurants, they "forget" to say please and thank you, they blow off phone calls while spewing profanity about the interruption, they litter, and they lie to their friends.  All this and more, while their children are watching, listening, and soaking it all in for later use. Then, and here's the part that cracks me up, they yell at their kids when they do anything that remotely resembles their own fucked up actions. Are there no mirrors in your home and are you deaf? They didn't become little assholes on their own.  Pat yourself on the back, douchebag, this is all your fault.   Your Academy Award winning performance as the evil shrew has been noted and emulated.  Aren't little ones adorable, especially when they can perfectly pronounce words like, annoying bitch and get the fuck out of my way, I was here first? Yeah, they're sweet as week old ass pie.
Common sense can't be taught, I know that.  Common courtesy can and should be, yet it hardly ever is, much to my disgust. How many of you actually hold the door for the person behind you when leaving or entering a building?  How many of you are paying attention to the fact that there IS someone behind you? I can probably count on one hand how many times I have my hands full, and the door is politely held by the person in front of me.  I've lost count of how many times that same door has been dropped in my face by a grown-ass person. Yet, you'd be the first one to exclaim loudly, "THANK YOU!" in your most perfect and practiced sarcastic tone if I dropped the door on your ass. Who has seen someone come up behind you on line at the supermarket holding one item and ignored them as you stood next to your cartload of shit on the belt awaiting check out? Often, I am the person with the one item and I'd like to shove that item down your windpipe when you rudely go about your business and ignore me.
This past weekend my family and I attended a birthday party at a large park in our area. It was Africa hot and I, of course, had my period.  The people at our party were quite lovely, but the people at the event down the hill from us were clearly a bunch of inconsiderate ass wads. I know this because their children prevented me from using the toilet in a timely fashion and almost caused me to float back up the hill from the bathroom on a sea of my own tampon overflow. I walked to the bathroom quickly because I knew it was verging on emergency territory. Upon entering the huge facility, I noticed there were 6 changing stalls and 2 showers for those taking advantage of the pool.  How nice, I thought.  I turned right to head down the stairs where the three toilet stalls awaited my company.  Sitting on the stairs were 8 children, and in the 3 stalls were at least 6 more little shits, standing up, getting changed out of their wet bathing suits.  The stair sitters saw me and stared like they had never seen a white woman before. Not one rushed their friends out of the stalls in an attempt to be considerate.  They just stared, agape like the little fucktards their parents bred.

I'd never kick one of your little shitheads for acting this way, but since you are to blame, you are fair game. There are no children's books out there that teach kids how to be rude and inconsiderate. Living in a household with unthinking shitheels usually is all the education they need to become disrespectful little turds that turn into discourteous adult ball bags. Had I been as ill-mannered as the kids in the bathroom, and my mom got wind of it, I'd still have the marks on my cheek from the slap I'd have gotten AND deserved. The basics like please, thank you, and excuse me...start there. Then maybe you can teach them to hold your hand while in a store or to simply stand near you rather than running amok up and down the aisles for me to have to swerve and dodge with my cart while attempting to shop utilizing the few free moments I have to do so. Rarely have I heard a parent admonishing such behavior, nor have I seen many attempts to corral the children I've described when they are clearly in my way.  Shall I just mow them down and keep shopping? No, because then you'd become SuperParent and rush to your evil snot rocket's rescue. Should have considered that before they got in my way.
Teach them early, and show them how to treat others the way they'd like to be treated. Don't vomit out all the right words to them and then act like a fucking jackass in front of them.  Guess which they'll remember and imitate? You are their first and most important teacher, don't fuck it up. My future and my daughter's future happiness and sanity depend on you making the right decisions when you are in full view of your children.  If you don't want to raise a nosepicking, ass scratching, door dropping, ill-bred moron, don't BE one. It's not that difficult.  Are you friggin kidding me right now???


No comments:

Post a Comment